Saturday, March 21, 2015

Language Issues (4)


     We have been in Olomouc for about a week now and I LOVE IT!  It's so beautiful and historic and altogether wonderful.  It is a town of about 100,000 people, pretty small for the Czech Republic but it's the perfect size for me.  It's not a big tourist town like Prague so obviously not everyone here speaks English, which can be a bit of a challenge.  We are taking a Czech language class but it is a very difficult language to learn and right now we are just working on how to pronounce words, let alone understand them.  On Friday we did learn a few helpful phrases but the first week has still been a little difficult to communicate at times.
     Many people do speak English and I have found that most people are pretty understanding when they don't speak English and we just have to try and use hand signals and body language to communicate.  It can still be very difficult to get your message across or understand what they are trying to say.  There is a lot of head nodding and hand waving.  However, there is the occasional person that won't even try to understand and wants nothing to do with us. (I have honestly only met one like that so far)  In America everything is catered to our needs and is there to make life easier for us.  Here it is not the case and it makes you realize just how much we take for granted being able to read signs, menus, or ask where the bathroom is.
     One of the places where I really noticed the issue of the language was at Globus. (like Walmart)  There is a Globus really close to our dorm so we went there quite a bit this first week getting supplies and groceries.  Most of the workers there speak little to no English and so it can be very difficult if you need to ask where something is.  Also when you check out they usually try and ask you questions and you never really know what they are saying so you just have to nod or point or just smile and pretend like you know.
     Another place the issue comes up is at restaurants.  Some of the places do have menus in English, which is really nice but other places don't.  Even if they have the menu in English it doesn't always mean the workers speak it though.  Sometimes you just have to point and hope it ends up being something you like but I have loved every meal I have eaten so far.  I usually feel bad when they speak no English and we try ordering.  I feel like we are coming to their country and going to their places so it seems arrogant of us to assume they speak English and expect them to understand us.  Hopefully they don't see it that way but I'm glad I at least know how to say 'Thank You' in Czech.
     Overall the language difference can be frustrating at times but it is very doable.  Even though I know we won't be anywhere close to fluent by the time we leave, I am excited to continue to learn the language.  A lot of times I see something and just wish I knew what it said.  However, when I think about the fact that I am getting to spend my semester in Europe it's hard to complain about anything!



Sign on our door
Globus receipt 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment