Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Studying Abroad: A Life Changing Experience

3 months, 13 countries, and numerous cities later I am finally back home in Nebraska.  It has been an amazing and unforgettable experience.  I have made such great friendships and memories.  I feel like I have grown and learned so much in my time abroad so I want to say some of the most important lessons I have learned.
     First of all, I have learned to slow down and enjoy the small things in life.  I am involved in a lot of things so my life is typically go, go, go.  On this trip there were many times that felt so surreal, whether it was touring a beautiful castle or overlooking an amazing view.  I couldn't believe what I was looking at and just felt so lucky to be where I was.  It was a good reminder to slow down and enjoy the beauty of the world.
     Another thing I learned is that not everything is going to go as planned, and that's ok.  I am definitely one that likes to have control of situations and want to have everything planned out.  Throughout this trip I learned that not everything is going to go smoothly.  You will get delayed or lose things but it will work out in the end.
     This trip has also made me a much more independent and outgoing person.  I was a fairly reserved person, not one to ask many questions.  On this trip I was forced out of my comfort zone multiple times.  When you're in a new country with a new language, sometimes all there's left to do is ask.  I have also been able to meet some amazing people from all over the world.  After meeting all these people and hearing what they have to say I definitely think twice before judging anyone.  I have learned that everyone has their own story and until you can experience life through their shoes you can't really understand.
     Studying abroad has changed me in many ways, some that I can't even describe.  I have seen so much in such a short amount of time.  I miss it already and can't wait for the chance to go back!
Here's a list of all the countries (and cities) I was able to visit:
- United Kingdom (London)
- Germany (Dresden and Berlin)
- Austria (Vienna)
- Italy (Venice and Rome)
- France (Paris)
- Spain (Barcelona)
- Poland (Krakow)
- Slovakia (Bratislava)
- Hungary (Budapest)
- Ireland (Dublin)
- Belgium (Brussels)
- Netherlands (Amsterdam)
and of course the Czech Republic where we visited up to 9 different cities!
Our whole group in Olomouc's main square

Berlin Wall 

Trinity College in Dublin 

Grand Palace in Brussels 




No comments:

Post a Comment